Medical Weight Loss
FDA Approved Prescription Medications
Medical Weight Loss: FDA Approved Prescription Medications
Management of exogenous obesity as an adjunct in a regimen of weight reduction based on caloric restriction in patients with an initial BMI (body mass index) of greater than 25 and PBF (percent body fat) of greater than 28% in females and 20% in males who have not responded to appropriate weight reducing regimen (diet and exercise) alone. To be used in conjunction with supplements, diet, and training.
Phentermine/phendimetrazine/diethylpropion are stimulants that are similar to amphetamine. These are appetite suppressants that affect the central nervous system.
Phentermine/phendimetrazine/diethylpropion is used together with diet and exercise to treat obesity (overweight) in people with risk factors such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or diabetes. They may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
You should not take phentermine/phendimetrazine/diethylpropion if you are allergic to it or have:
- A history of heart disease (coronary artery disease, heart rhythm problems, congestive heart failure, pulmonary hypertension)
- Severe or uncontrolled high blood pressure
- Overactive thyroid
- If you are pregnant or breast-feeding
- If you are in an agitated state
- If you have a history of drug or alcohol abuse
- If you are allergic to other diet pills, amphetamines, stimulants, or cold medications
- Within 14 days of MAO inhibitor therapy (a depression medication)
Phentermine (Adipex): Oral dosage form 37.5 mg once a day before breakfast (should be taken on an empty stomach).
Phendimetrazine: 35 mg, take 1 hour before meals.
Diethylpropion HCL (Tenuate): 25 mg, take 1 hour before meals.
Possible Adverse Reactions:
Cardiovascular: Palpitations, tachycardia, elevated blood pressure.
Central Nervous System: Overstimulation, restlessness, insomnia, agitation, flushing, tremors, sweating, dizziness, headache, psychotic state, blurring of vision.
Gastrointestinal: Dryness of mouth, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, stomach pain.
Genitourinary: Urinary frequency, dysuria, changes in libido.
Phentermine/phendimetrazine/diethylpropion: May disrupt normal sleep patterns. Avoid taking a dose late in the day.
Adults age 60 and overtaking Phentermine: A reduced dosage may be necessary
Phentermine is NOT recommended for children under age 16
Take Phentermine/phendimetrazine/diethylpropion ONLY as directed by your provider:
- Do NOT take more than prescribed.
- Please do NOT take it for a more extended period than your provider ordered.
- If too much phentermine is taken, it may cause unwanted effects or become habit-forming.
- If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and take only the scheduled amount. Do NOT double the dose. If taken too late, it can cause sleep disruption.
Do not take Phentermine/phendimetrazine/diethylpropion with these medications:
- Amantadine, i.e.-Symmetrel
- Caffeine, i.e., NoDoz
- Clofedanol or Chlophedianol
- Medicine for asthma or other breathing problems
- Medicine for colds, sinus problems, or hay fever, and other allergies
- Methylphenidate, i.e. – Ritalin